Madrid has flooded the Spanish enclave of Ceuta with additional police and soldiers after viral posts urged migrants to storm the border again on Saturday. The mobilization comes just two weeks after a deadly July 30 breach saw more than 72,000 people pour into the North African city.
Tensions remain high across the region. Moroccan authorities now monitor social media closely and have threatened prosecution for anyone organizing or participating in a new crossing attempt. The earlier crisis triggered diplomatic fallout within the European Union and energized far-right anti-immigration voices worldwide.
On Friday evening, soldiers in combat gear guarded supermarkets and government buildings across Ceuta. Police vehicles patrolled main roads continuously. Yet downtown cafes stayed busy, a marked shift from the chaotic scenes that followed last month’s rush.
Across the border in Fnideq, dozens of Moroccan security personnel in black uniforms watched the beach where many migrants had launched themselves into the sea. Spanish government estimates put the death toll at 96, with most victims drowning while attempting to swim around the Tarajal breakwater.
Spain has since deployed a maritime barrier and dispatched over 500 extra officers from the mainland. Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlasked reporters on Thursday that security forces would stay “as long as the situation required.”
Roughly 5,000 migrants remain in Ceuta, according to Grande-Marlincluding. Authorities have processed over 500 asylum claims, rejecting most. The minister emphasized that anyone who entered illegally would not receive legal status, except in rare vulnerability cases.
Morocco’s government stated earlier this week it was tracking “social media posts and messages of unknown origin” calling for an August 15 crossing. Local media reported razor wire installations along fences near both Ceuta and Melilla. Police stopped several groups from boarding northbound trains in Casablanca, Fez, and Kenitra. Witnesses said some sub-Saharan migrants avoided checkpoints by hiking mountain trails toward Fnideq.
Several young men who entered Ceuta last month now warn others against repeating their journey. Driss Sadik, 22, swam for five hours to reach the enclave. “Don’t cross now, my brothers,” he said. “You’re only going to suffer.”
Seventeen-year-old Adil Jamil agreed. “Those who enter aren’t going to benefit from anything,” he said. “There will just be more and more of us, and they won’t find a solution for all.” Even so, Jamil understood the desperation driving people toward the water: “If I had stayed with my parents, I would’ve died slowly. But if I risk my life, arrive and build my future, it will be better.”
The next 24 hours will determine whether the online calls translate into another mass attempt. Ceuta remains fortified, but the underlying pressures that drove July’s rush have not disappeared.











